Apple products are famous for their high build quality and longevity. However nothing is permanent, sooner or later some soft or hard drive will fail your expectations. You are not alone in this. There have been several cases of battery failure that can be explained by Apple. Some models have battery problems for which Apple has extended its warranty. Some of them are:
- MacBook Pro (15 inches Early 2011)
- MacBook Pro (15 inches Late 2011)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch Mid 2012)
- MacBook Pro (17 inches Early 2011)
- MacBook Pro (Retina 15 inch, Early 2013)
There are two quick fixes specially available for you
Reset SMC to fix the battery and some other hardware problems.
System Management Controller is accountable for many hardware inside Macbook. It controls almost everything, from all the lights in your mac to the battery, from the fans to the parts of the logic board.
- If you see any of these signs, then you should reset your SMC
- Mac fans are running loud.
- The keyboard backlight is not working the way it should.
- Frequent restarts and shutdowns.
- Mac isn’t charging.
- Icons keep on jumping on Dock.
How to Reset SMC on your MacBook Pro
If you don’t have a removable battery then simply
- Just shut your MacBook pro down.
- Plug in the original power adapter.
- Tap Shift Control Option (Alt) and the power button at the same time.
- Release all at the same time.
- Tap the power button to turn on MacBook Pro.
Whenever you press button combination from the above just keep an eye on LED indicator on MagSage adaptor. In most of the cases, it would blink once and will switch the colors. You should not worry as it is a very healthy process.
If you have a removable battery
- Just shut down your MacBook.
- If the power adapter is connected, just disconnect it.
- Remove battery.
- Tap and hold the power button for around 5 seconds.
- Keep the battery back to power where it was.
- Plug in the power adapter.
- Turn on your Macbook.
Reset PRAM to fix most of your MacBook problems.
Do not confuse RAM with PRAM. Parameter RAM is responsible for keeping all small setting on Mac. It is accountable for little things such as remembering alarm, volume settings, show resolution or even the startup disk. You may feel that it is not too important, but if something is wrong with PRAM, your MacBook will suffer. It is a matter of fact that resetting PRAM would solve almost all issues.
How to Reset PRAM on any Mac computer
Probably this is the easiest fix:
- Shut down the MacBook.
- Tap the power button and then immediately tap and hold Option Command-P-R
- Hold till you listen to startup sound twice.
- Release the button now to allow your Mac to turn on.
How to Update to latest Mac OS
With every new version of Mac OS, Apple developers do their best to troubleshoot all of your software problems. Some of it might have played well with your hardware. Please do a favor to yourself and update your Mac to latest OS. Don’t worry you are not going to lose any data, settings, passwords of yours. Upgrade to EI capital to bring about a slight improvement in the battery life.
Let Apple fix your computer
If you have one of the models mentioned above, then it doesn’t matter if you are on Applecare or not. If you are, then you can allow Apple to have a look at your device and fix it for you. It is likely to be set if the issue is of hardware. If you are not expected to waste time for a trip without knowing if you really have hardware defects then it is a good idea. If you are a time saver, then go ahead to run Apple’s diagnostics tools for figuring it out.
Apple Hardware Test or Diagnostics
Depending on your model, you should be able to use one of the pieces of software for finding out the hardware issues and the defects on your machine.